Friday, January 29, 2010

Meeting The Great Joe Lovano

It was a treat for me to meet Joe Lovano today. He is one of the giants of the tenor saxophone.

I first heard him when he worked with Woody Herman & The Thundering Herd. I attended a concert they played in UK's Memorial Coliseum in the late '70's and remember how impressive he was then. He is now acknowledged as one of the greatest jazz improvisors in the world.

Mr. Lovano returned to Lexington today and conducted a master class. He shared stories about his life and musical journey and demonstrated his command of the horn. From my front row seat, I used my iPhone to record Mr. Lovano playing Thelonious Monk's "Work". He will be playing tonight at Natasha's and tomorrow at Singletary Center.


I brought my favorite Lovano cd, "I'm All For You", and had him autograph it for me. It was a fun day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home