Wednesday, January 31, 2007

DiMartino-Osland Jazz Orchestra (DOJO) Swings Comedy Off Broadway

I enjoy going to Comedy Off Broadway on the last Monday evening of each month. That is when DOJO, Lexington's best big band, takes the stage and rattles the walls with their powerful sound and swinging charts. Jazz fans Kim Harrod and Tim "Hoochie Coochie Man" Preston joined me at DOJO's most recent performance.


Vince DiMartino

The band includes some of some of the area's finest musicians. I particularily enjoy listening to the tenor sax solos of Gordon Towell and Dave Anderson. Trumpeter Rick Cook also shines as an outstanding soloist. In addition, it is fun to hear the band play keyboardist Raleigh Dailey's great arrangements. The statospheric high notes and dazzling technique displayed by trumpet ace Vince DiMartino are always included in the highlights of the evening.

The audience was made up of members of the UK Jazz Ensemble, Morehead State Jazz Ensemble, and local jazz fans. It was good to see Andrew McGrannahan, Keith Rector, and Byron Romanowitz in the crowd.

As I walked to my car after the concert, a gentleman and his wife came up to thank me and shake my hand for recommending the concert to them. I didn't recognize them and was not sure who they were at first. Later I realized that I had met them at one of my breaks at Giuseppe's and had told them of the fabulous DOJO nights at Comedy Off Broadway. I hope others will spread the word of the great music being played in Lexington on the last Monday of each month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home