Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Shhhhhh! Silence! You're In A Library!


I enjoy playing at the Laurel County Library. They have me visit to play jazz and Christmas tunes in early December each year.

I play in the main area of the library. There is always a nice group of folks studying, researching, surfing the internet, browsing, and listening.

As I bring my equipment into the building I notice how quiet it is in the library. If I listen closely I can hear a page turn or an occasional cough or clearing of the throat from someone in the back. This is certainly a gig that will not require subwoofers, a stack of Marshall amplifiers, laser light show, or super mixing board. As I assemble my sax in the silence of the room I remember Mrs. Smart, the librarian at my high school, constantly reminding us to be quiet. She would always say "Shhhhhh! Silence! You're in a library!"

Now that my gear is set up and ready, I need to decide on a first tune to play. I know I'll need to pick something that can be played very softly. Basically my game plan is to quietly "creep in" with the volume so that the library folks are not overwhelmed with sound. After careful consideration, I decided to play "The Sound of Silence" as my quiet opener. I followed it with "Quiet Nights (Corcovado)" and then some Christmas tunes, jazz, pop ballads, and swing. It was great seeing the Askews and other library regulars again.


With friend Johanna Askew

I'm not sure that Mrs. Smart would have approved of music in the library, but the folks at Laurel County Library did. Music in the library covers up the sounds of page turning, coughing, clearing of the throat, and the librarian's "Shhhhhh" warnings. Libraries can be places of excitement, as evidenced here.

1 Comments:

At December 06, 2006 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Batgirl clip. You are one funny dude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home