Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Digging Dexter

I was listening to some classic Dexter Gordon recordings last night and thinking about the times I was able to hear him live. In the late 70's I caught him at Jazz Blues Alley in Washington, DC. I was thrilled to get to talk with the tenor giant. He was very cool and signed a Jazz Alley Poster for me. I remember that night very well because the great George Cables was playing piano in Dexter's quartet. What a great concert that was.

The UK Marching Band stayed in DC that night because we had marched at halftime of the Maryland (then coached by Jerry Claiborne and quarterbacked by Boomer Esiason) vs Kentucky game. Kentucky lost the game but we had a good time at the game anyway.

Those marching band trips were fun. During my time at UK, we marched halftime at away games against Indiana, Tennessee, LSU, North Carolina (Peach Bowl), and Georgia. Of course we also marched at all the home games. Those were fun days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home