Thursday, May 04, 2006

Happy Birthday Maynard Ferguson

Legendary trumpeter Maynard Ferguson turns 78 today! Maynard enjoys continued musical success as he still tours and records with his band.

Maynard and Melody in 2004

I have been to many Maynard Ferguson concerts over the years and have attended them with many friends and family members including Johnny Hall, Melody Hall, Elizabeth Sames, Vince DiMartino, Chuck Buechel, Rich Hudson, Kim Harrod, Jennifer Harrod, Mike Paris, Danny King, Robert Moser, Brian Sturm, and many more. I have fond memories of every concert.

My library of recordings includes every album Maynard has released...and that is a lot! Each time I see him he signs another one or two for me and I treasure them all.

Happy Birthday Maynard! He has brought a lot of joy my way over the years. I look forward to the next time friends and I hear him in concert. I'll need to get him to sign the new "MF Horn VI: Live at Ronnie's" compact disc. It's a new live album recorded in London during his summer tour of 2005.

1 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 2:37 PM, Blogger David Hall said...

David,

I have every recording released by Maynard Ferguson as leader. I think you are referring to the 2000 release "Bernstein Live With The New York Philharmonic", where Maynard performs. Though I do have a lot of recordings of Maynard playing as a sideman (w/Kenton, Bregman, Chicago, Dinah Washington, etc), I certainly don't have all of them. I do not own the New York Philharmonic album that you referred to, but based upon your recommendation, have preordered a copy from Amazon. It is out of print, but maybe someone will see my order request and sell their used copy to me. In the meantime, yes, I would love to hear your copy. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home